PPC | April 24, 2014
What is Remarketing and Why Do I Need It?
Did you know that over 90 percent of your online visitors will not convert to sales or enquiries on their first visit? That is a shocking figure when you think about it. Luckily for you, there is a way of pulling these people back into your website and try to make them convert. What kind of magic is this? The magic of remarketing!
What is Remarketing?
Very simply, remarketing advertising is where somebody visits your website and a cookie is placed on their browser which allows you to target them with tailored adverts through the Google Display Network (GDN). This allows you to effectively have a second chance (and a third, fourth, fifth etc.) at winning their custom, which is perfect if they left to try and find better deals or do more research on your product. Targeting these customers is great for you, as you know that they are quality traffic who are already looking for the products or services you provide.
How Does Remarketing Work?
Starting this process is as easy as adding a small section of code across your site – this can be done in the header or the footer as these tend to be identical across all pages. This code will drop a cookie (digital not chocolate chip) onto a specific visitor’s browser based on their activities on your site. You can specifically target individuals based on a wide variety of things such as:
- How long they spent on your site
- If they left with products in their basket
- They recently purchased an item
- Their gender, age or location
- What device they were using to search
- You can even pick things to exclude based on their movements on your site
Similarly to PPC, you can pinpoint your audience down to the very last detail. This can help you to target your ads as specifically as possible to ensure that you receive the highest ROI on your advertising budget.
How to Use These Ads?
Using these ads to their full potential can be the tricky bit. There are several different ways you can do this and that will depend strongly on the type of business you are, the products you sell and most importantly the type of people you are targeting. If you take a very simplistic view, the types of adverts you can run are:
- Offers – if people visited your site but thought the price was too much or they wanted free shipping then displaying offers like this could encourage them back to buy.
- Reminders – this is great if your company delivers a service that is required every couple of months, as reminder adverts will drive them back to you to buy the product.
- Pushing seasonal products – cookies last for 540 days, which makes remarketing excellent for pushing seasonal products like insurance renewals or holidays.
- Boosting ecommerce – when someone buys from you they are likely to do so again, showing your new products, sales items or new prices could be all it takes to increase your sales.
- Increase customer service – you can use these ads to provide FAQs, ask them to review your site, promote your other services or invite them back for special VIP offers.
When it comes to buying things online it takes people several hours and a whole load of websites to make up their mind on what they want. By having these ads follow them around the internet, they are much more likely to think of you when it comes to finally buying, and a quick click is all it takes!
Again you are faced with a heap of options as to how long or frequently you want these adverts displayed for. There are many different approaches here, from the bombardment technique, where you throw lots of ads their way for a few days, to the long haul, when you plan for your adverts to crop up 11 months later when they are planning on buying again. Understanding what is best for you will boil down into knowing your company, audience and the products you sell.
If you’re looking for an Award-Winning remarketing agency who can help you get the best possible results then Liberty Marketing can help. We have years of experience successfully dealing with PPC campaigns for clients in hundreds of different industries. Become one of our success stories today, give us a call on 02920 766 467.